A recent quora post asked an interesting question: What interesting companies, open source projects are using R in 2013? Since we've been tracking applications of R here on the blog for a while now, I listed just some of the most recent examples:
- The New York Times routinely uses R for interactive and print data visualization.
- Google has more than 500 R users.
- The FDA supports the use of R for clinical trials of new drugs.
- John Deere uses R to forecast crop yields and optimize tractor manufacturing.
- The National Weather Service uses R to predict the extent of flooding events.
- Zillow uses R to model housing prices.
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau uses R and other open source tools.
- Twitter uses R for data science applications on the Twitter database.
- FourSquare uses R to develop its recommendation engine.
- Facebook uses R to model all sorts of user behaviour.
Got any other recent examples of interesting companies using R? Let us know in the comments or as an answer to the Quora post linked below.