by Andrie de Vries
The second week of SQLRelay (#SQLRelay) kicked off in London earlier this week. SQLRelay is a series of conferences, spanning 10 cities in the United Kingdom over two weeks. The London agenda included 4 different streams, with tracks for the DBA, BI and Analytics users, as well as a workshop track with two separate tutorials.
My speaking slot was in the afternoon, with the title "In-database analytics using Revolution R and SQL".
In my talk I covered:
- A high level overview of R
- Data science in the cloud
- Connecting R to SQL
- Scalable R
- R in SQL Server
- Moving your workflow to the cloud
- Connecting R to SQL Server using an RODBC connector
- Using Revolution R Enterprise (RRE) in a local parallel compute context, reading data from a local file
- Changing the compute context to SQL Server, and running the R code directly inside the SQL Server machine
The last two demonstrations demonstrate how to run some R code embedded in a SQL stored procedure:
- Creating a very simple script that calls out to R
- Using R to generate some data, in this case simply bringing some data in from the famous iris data set that is built into R.
The presentation is available on SlideShare: